- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
With about 12,000 residents, Hendersonville has one of the most engaging downtowns of any small city in the South. Historic Main Street, as it's called, extends 10 serpentine blocks, lined with about 40 shops, including antiques stores, galleries, and restaurants. Each year from April through October, Main Street has displays of public art. Within walking distance of downtown are several B&Bs.
The Hendersonville area is North Carolina's main apple-growing area, and some 200 apple orchards dot the rolling hills around town. An Apple Festival, attracting 200,000 people, is held each year in August.
Hendersonville at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in The North Carolina Mountains
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $169 -- Luxe North Carolina Hotel near Biltmore, $50 Off Grand Bohemian Hotel Asheville