- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The visitor centers, campgrounds, and historic sites such as Roosevelt's cabin, are all wheelchair accessible, and films at the visitor centers are closed-captioned. The first part of the Little Mo Nature Trail in the North Unit and the ¼-mi Skyline Vista Trail in the South Unit are both paved.
Admission Fees and Permits
The entrance pass is $10 per vehicle, good for seven days. An annual pass is $20. A backcountry permit, free from the visitor centers, is required for overnight camping away from campgrounds.
The park is open year-round. The North Unit is in the central time zone. The South Unit and the Painted Canyon Visitor Center are in the mountain time zone.
There are no ATMs in the park. The nearest bank is in Medora.
First State Bank (365 3rd Ave., Medora, ND, 58645. 701/623-5000.)
Medora Convenience Store (200 Pacific Ave., at the South Unit entrance, Medora, ND, 58645. 701/623-4479.)
Automobile Service Stations
You can get gas at the entrance to the South Unit of the park, but the nearest full-service station is 17 mi away in Belfield.
Cell-phone reception occurs in some areas of the park, but most places receive no signal. Public telephones can be found at the South Unit's Cottonwood Campground, at the Painted Canyon Visitor Center, and at the North Unit Visitor Center.
In case of a fire or medical emergency dial 911 or the Billings County Sheriff's Office at 701/623-4323.
Park Contact Information
Theodore Roosevelt National Park. Theodore Roosevelt National Park P.O. Box 7, Medora, ND, 58645. 701/842-2333 North Unit; 701/575-4020 Painted Canyon; 701/623-4466 South Unit. www.nps.gov/thro.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save $$ in Dickinson: Book Fr $139+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $10/night less
- Dickinson Savings! Book at Ramada Grand Dakota Lodge Fr $141+/Nt Expedia
- Save $$ in Dickinson: Book Fr $103+/Nt — $103 Hotels.com