Contemporary Arts Center
Contemporary Arts Center Review
This museum presents the work of today's most cutting-edge artists—starting with the artistry of the building itself, the first freestanding American museum designed by a woman, Iraq-born architect Zaha Hadid. When it was completed in 2003, New York Times architecture critic Herbert Muschamp famously called it "the most important building completed since the end of the Cold War." Exhibits showcase photography, film, performance art, and even art that primarily uses sound. There are no permanent installations, save for the sixth-floor UnMuseum, a 7,400-square-foot wonderland for kids and adults; one of the more popular attractions is the robot-tree, which responds to your presence by raising or lowering its branches. The youngest children will love the Leaf Lounge, where they take off their shoes and roll about in more than 450 hand-made leaves. The stuffed leaves are five times the actual size of their sylvan cousins and are spread across a bed of bouncy foam.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $104* & up -- Flights for Next Weekend on American, R/T American Airlines
We (4 adults) took our quick weekend trip to Cleveland (Saturday to Monday) and had a great time - many thanks to all who contributed!
Our first stop on the journey from Detroit to Cleveland was a stop Read more
The Amtrak rail works after 11 pm until early morning at Cincinnati Union Station within Cincinnati Museum Center. Read more
We are planning to visit Cedar Point on a couple of weekdays during the third week of June. Read more