- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Deschutes National Forest. Many Nordic trails—more than 165 miles of them—wind through the Deschutes National Forest. Bend, OR. 541/383-5300 for trail condition information.
Mt. Bachelor. This is one of the best alpine resort areas in the United States—60 percent of the downhill runs are rated advanced or expert, the rest geared for beginner and intermediate skiers and snowboarder. One of 10 lifts takes skiers all the way to the mountain's 9,065-foot summit. The vertical drop is 3,265 feet; the longest of the 70 runs is 4 miles. Facilities and services include equipment rental and repair, a ski school, and ski shop, Nordic skiing, weekly races, and day care; you can enjoy restaurants, bars, and six lodges. Other activities include cross-country skiing, a tubing park, sled-dog rides, snowshoeing, and in summer, hiking and chairlift rides. The 36 miles of trails at the Mt. Bachelor Nordic Center, most of them near the base of the mountain, are intermediate.
During the offseason, the lift to the Pine Marten Lodge provides sightseeing, stunning views, and fine sunset dining. Visitors can play disc golf on a downhill course that starts near the lodge. At the base of the mountain, take dry-land dog sled rides with four-time Iditarod musher Rachael Scdoris. Cascade Lakes Hwy., Bend, OR, 97709. 541/382-7888 or 800/829-2442. www.mtbachelor.com. Lift tickets $59-$69 per day. Nov.-May, daily 8-4, or as weather allows.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $77.00 & up : 3.5-star hotels in Redmond Hotwire
- Redmond Savings! Book at The Lodge at Eagle Crest Fr $263+/Nt Expedia
- $17.70 & up : Midsize rentals in Redmond Hotwire
- Look no Further! Redmond Hotels Fr $54+/Nt — $54 Travelocity
- $19.95 & up : Full Size rentals in Redmond — $20 Hotwire