- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
Portlanders arrive via car on U.S. 20 or U.S. 26, and folks from the mid-Willamette Valley cross the mountains on Oregon 126. Roberts Field-Redmond Municipal Airport, 14 mi to the north, is an efficient hub for air travelers, who can rent a car or take a shuttle or cab into town. Greyhound also serves the area with a shuttle from Salem. The Central Oregon Breeze, a privately operated regional carrier, runs daily between Portland and Bend, with stops in Redmond and Madras. Bend is served by a citywide bus system called Cascades East Transit, which also connects to Redmond, Sisters, Prineville, Madras, and Warm Springs. To take a Cascades East bus between cities in central Oregon, passengers must call to make a reservation.
If you're trying to head out of or into Bend on a major highway during the morning or 5 pm rush, especially on U.S. 97, you may hit congestion. Parking in downtown Bend is free for the first two hours, or park for free in the residential neighborhoods just west of downtown. In addition to the car-rental counters at the airport, Avis, Budget, Enterprise, and Hertz also have rental locations in Bend.
Cascades East Transit (541/385-8680 or 866/385-8680. www.cascadeseasttransit.com.)
Central Oregon Breeze (541/389-7469 or 800/847-0157. www.cobreeze.com.)
Greyhound Bend (334 N.E. Hawthorne Ave., Bend, OR, 97701. 541/923-1732 or 800/231-2222. www.greyhound.com.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $77.00 & up : 3.5-star hotels in Redmond Hotwire
- Small budget: Stay in Redmond this May Fr $263+/Nt Expedia
- $23.95 & up : Full Size rentals in Redmond Hotwire
- Visit Redmond for Less: Hotels Fr $54+/Nt — $54 Travelocity
- $20.95 & up : Midsize rentals in Redmond — $21 Hotwire