Getting Here and Around
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
Eastern Oregon Regional Airport at Pendleton receives daily flights from Portland and Seattle on SeaPort Airlines. 541/276-7754.
Hertz Rental Caror Elite Taxis can get you into the city. 541/276-8294.
Across the Washington border, Tri-Cities Airport is just 30 mi from Umatilla. Rental cars are available from most national agencies. Depending on where you're headed, check flights into Boise, ID (an hour from the eastern Oregon border), Spokane, WA (three hours from the northern border), and Elko, NV (three hours from the southern border). 509/547-6352.
Many of the cities in eastern Oregon can be reached by Greyhound or by a smaller, regional bus line, but bear in mind that once you get there public transportation is usually not available, and not all cities have car-rental outlets. 800/231-2222. www.greyhound.com.
Also, most area bus routes operate only once or twice a day, and some don't run on weekends.
The major Greyhound route travels along I-84, passing through Pendleton, La Grande, Baker City, and Ontario.
A bus operated by Porter Stage Lines runs daily from Ontario to Coos Bay on the coast, with stops at Burns, Vale, Bend, Eugene, and elsewhere. 541/269-7183.
A shuttle bus called the People Mover runs round-trip on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays between John Day and Bend, where it connects with the Central Oregon Breeze bus line to Portland. 541/575-2370.
The vast majority of travelers in eastern Oregon gets around by car. I-84 runs east along the Columbia River and dips down to Pendleton, La Grande, Baker City, and Ontario. U.S. 26 heads east from Prineville through the Ochoco National Forest, passing the three units of the John Day Fossil Beds. U.S. 20 travels southeast from Bend in central Oregon to Burns. U.S. 20 and U.S. 26 both head west into Oregon from Idaho.
In all these areas, equip yourself with chains for winter driving. Four-wheel drive is beneficial, if not essential, on a lot of eastern Oregon's designated Scenic Byways. Plan ahead for gas, since service stations can be few and far between. They often close early in small towns, and because drivers in Oregon can't legally pump their own gas, you'll be out of luck until morning.
Rental cars are available from Hertz at the Pendleton airport, and Sunray Auto in Ontario.
Sunray Auto Rentals. 541/881-1383.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $52.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Pendleton Hotwire
- Holiday Inn Express Pendleton in May: $116 & Up Expedia
- May deal: Oxford Suites Pendleton Fr $121+/Nt — $121 Expedia
- Pendleton Savings! Book at Travelodge Pendleton OR Fr $74+/Nt — $74 Expedia
- Pendleton Savings! Book at Red Lion Pendleton Fr $78+/Nt — $78 Save with Expedia, $37/night less