Great Portland Itineraries
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Great Portland Itineraries
If You Have 1 Day
Spend the morning exploring downtown. Visit the Portland Art Museum or the Oregon History Center, stop by the historic First Congregational Church and Pioneer Courthouse Square, and take a stroll along the Park Blocks or Waterfront Park. Eat lunch and do a little shopping along Northwest 23rd Avenue or at Powell's Books in the early afternoon, and be sure to get a look at the beautiful historic homes in Nob Hill. From there, drive up into the northwest hills by the Pittock Mansion, and finish off the afternoon at the Japanese Garden and the International Test Rose Garden in Washington Park. If you still have energy, head across the river for dinner on Hawthorne Boulevard; then drive up to Mt. Tabor Park for Portland's best sunset.
If You Have 3 Days
On your first day, follow the itinerary above, but stay on the west side for dinner, and take your evening stroll in Waterfront Park. On your second morning, visit the Lan Su Chinese Garden in Old Town, and then head across the river to the Sellwood District for lunch and antiquing. Stop by the Crystal Springs Rhododendron Garden, then head up to the Hawthorne District in the afternoon. Wander through the Hawthorne and Belmont neighborhoods for a couple of hours, stop by Laurelhurst Park, and take a picnic dinner up to Mt. Tabor Park. In the evening, catch a movie at the Bagdad Theatre, or get a beer at one of the east-side brewpubs. On Day 3, take a morning hike in Hoyt Arboretum or Forest Park, then spend your afternoon exploring shops and galleries in the Pearl District and on northeast Alberta Street. Drive out to the Grotto, and then eat dinner at the Kennedy School or one of the other McMenamins brewpubs.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Portland Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $122+/Nt Save with Expedia, $9/night less
- Save in Portland: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $160+/Nt Expedia
- Travel for Less! 4 Nts Red Lion Portland Airport + Air Fr $303 Expedia
- $11.95 & up : Full Size rentals in Portland Hotwire
- Portland Savings! Book 3 Nts in May Fr $242+/Nt — $242 Save with Expedia, $27/night less