- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Often overlooked by visitors to the region, the greater Klamath Falls area is one of the most beautiful parts of Oregon. The small if not especially engaging city of Klamath Falls stands at an elevation of 4,100 feet, on the southern shore of Upper Klamath Lake. The highest elevation in Klamath County is the peak of Mt. Scott, at 8,926 feet. There are more than 82 lakes and streams in Klamath County, including Upper Klamath Lake, which covers 133 square mi.
The Klamath Basin, with its six national wildlife refuges, hosts the largest wintering concentration of bald eagles in the contiguous United States and the largest concentration of migratory waterfowl on the continent. Each February nature enthusiasts from around the world flock here for the Bald Eagle Conference, the nation's oldest birding festival.
The Nature Conservancy has called the basin a western Everglades, because it is the largest wetland area west of the Mississippi. But humans have significantly damaged the ecosystem through farming and development. More than 25% of vertebrate species in the area are now endangered or threatened. Only 35 years ago about 6 million birds used the area every year, today that number is down to 2 to 3 million. Environmental organizations are working to reverse some of the damage.
Klamath Falls at a Glance
- Collier Memorial State Park and Logging Museum
- Favell Museum of Western Art and Native American Artifacts
- Fort Klamath Museum and Park
Sports and Outdoors
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $82.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Klamath Falls Hotwire
- 3-Star Running Y Ranch Fr $116+/Nt Hotels.com
- $42.99 & up : Midsize rentals in Klamath Falls Hotwire
- Klamath Falls Savings! Book at Comfort Inn & Suites Fr $111+/Nt — $111 Expedia
- $48.99 & up : Full Size rentals in Klamath Falls — $49 Hotwire