- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
You'll find some of the best river fishing in Oregon along the Umpqua, with smallmouth bass, shad, steelhead, salmon (coho, chinook, and sockeye), and sturgeon—the biggest reaching 10 feet in length—among the most prized catches. In addition to the Steamboat Inn, several outfitters in the region provide full guide services, which typically include all gear, boats, and expert leaders. There's good fishing in this region year-round, with sturgeon and steelhead at their best during the colder months, chinook and coho salmon thriving in the fall, and most other species prolific in spring and summer.
Oregon Angler. The Oregon Angler, run by one of the state's most respected and knowledgeable guides, Todd Hannah, specializes in jet-boat and drift-boat fishing excursions along the famed "Umpqua Loop," an 18-mi span of river that's long been lauded for exceptional fishing. Full-day trips start at $175 per person. Roseburg, OR. 800/428-8585. www.theoregonangler.com.
Big K Guest Ranch. Set along a 10-mi span of the upper Umpqua River near Elkton (about 35 mi north of Roseburg), Big K is a pastoral 2,500-acre guest ranch. The accommodations are geared primarily to groups and corporate retreats, but the ranch offers individual fishing packages starting at $400 per person, per day (meals and lodging included), with three- and four-night deals available at a better rate. Adventures include fly-fishing for smallmouth bass and summer steelhead, as well as spin-casting and drift-boat fishing. Roseburg, OR. 541/584-2295. www.big-k.com.
More Sports and Outdoors
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $70.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Klamath Falls Hotwire
- Explore Klamath Falls For Less! Book Fr $60+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $15/night less
- $48.57 & up : Full Size rentals in Klamath Falls Hotwire
- Save in Klamath Falls: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $75+/Nt — $75 Expedia
- $36.99 & up : Compact rentals in Klamath Falls — $37 Hotwire