- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Bay Area: North Bend and Coos Bay
The North Bend-Charleston-Coos Bay metropolitan area, collectively known as the Bay Area (population 25,000), is the gateway to rewarding recreational experiences. The town of Coos Bay lies next to the largest natural harbor between San Francisco Bay and Seattle's Puget Sound. A century ago, vast quantities of lumber cut from the Coast Range were milled in Coos Bay and shipped around the world. Coos Bay still has a reputation as a rough-and-ready port city, but with mill closures and dwindling lumber reserves, it is looking to tourism and other industries for economic growth.
To see the best of the Bay Area, head west from Coos Bay on Newmark Avenue for about 7 mi to Charleston. Though it's a Bay Area community, this quiet fishing village at the mouth of Coos Bay is a world unto itself. As it loops into town, the road becomes the Cape Arago Highway and leads to several oceanfront parks.
Bay Area: North Bend and Coos Bay at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in The Oregon Coast
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $42.71 & up : Full Size rentals in North Bend Hotwire
- $34.14 & up : Midsize rentals in North Bend — $35 Hotwire
- $31.28 & up : Compact rentals in North Bend — $32 Hotwire