Getting Here and Around
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
The north coast is accessible from Astoria Regional Airport (AST), which has daily flights from Portland on SeaPort Airlines. 800/860-4093 or 503/325-4521.
The central coast has daily flights into Newport Municipal Airport (ONP) on SeaPort Airlines. 800/424-3655 or 541/867-3655.
The south coast has flights from its new Southwest Oregon Regional Airport (OTH) in North Bend to Portland and San Francisco on United Express. Taxis are available at all airports; Hertz car rental is at the Astoria and Southwest airports. 541/756-8531.
Portland's airport is roughly 100 mi away from both Astoria and Lincoln City, and the drive takes about two hours; Newport is 150 mi and a three-hour drive away.
PDX Shuttle Portland provides service from Portland's airport to the coast for around $200. 503/740-9485. pdxshuttleportland.com).
OmniShuttle provides shuttle service from Eugene airport to the coast. The fare to Yachats is $135. It is more economical to rent a car. 800/741-5097.
Greyhound serves Coos Bay, Newport, Toledo, and Waldport, connecting them with Corvallis, Salem, and Portland. 800/231-2222. www.greyhound.com.
Sunset Empire Transportation travels between Portland and Astoria Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and serves the north coast cities of Astoria, Warrenton, Hammond, Gearhart, Seaside, and Cannon Beach. 503/861-7433. www.ridethebus.org.
Porter Stage Lines connects the Florence and Coos Bay area with Eugene. 541/269-7183.
Car Travel. Driving the coast is one of the singular pleasures of visiting Oregon. Car-rental agencies are available in the coast's larger towns; a branch of Enterprise is in Newport, Hertz is at the airports. U.S. 101 runs the length of the coast, sometimes turning inland for a few miles. The highway enters coastal Oregon from Washington State at Astoria and from California near Brookings. U.S. 30 heads west from Portland to Astoria. U.S. 20 travels west from Corvallis to Newport. Highway 126 winds west to the coast from Eugene. Highway 42 leads west from Roseburg toward Coos Bay.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Quality Inn & Suites at Coos Bay in May: $102 & Up Expedia
- $46.20 & up : Full Size rentals in North Bend Hotwire
- $34.20 & up : Compact rentals in North Bend — $35 Hotwire
- $37.20 & up : Midsize rentals in North Bend — $38 Hotwire