Amtrak, the U.S. passenger rail system, has daily service to the Pacific Northwest from the Midwest and California. The Coast Starlight begins in Los Angeles; makes stops throughout California, western Oregon, and Washington; and terminates in Seattle. There are stops in both Portland and Eugene; the 2½-hour trip between Portland and Eugene costs $33.
Amtrak's Cascades begins in Vancouver, B.C.; makes stops in Seattle, Tacoma, Portland, and Salem; and terminates in Eugene. The Empire Builder begins in Chicago; makes stops in Milwaukee, WI; St. Paul, MN; Spokane, WA; and other cities before arriving in Portland. The journey from Spokane to Portland is 7½ hours ($105), with part of the route running through the Columbia River Gorge.
Book Amtrak tickets at least a few days in advance, especially if you're traveling between Seattle and Portland on the weekend.
Amtrak (800/872-7245. www.amtrak.com.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $59* & up -- Fares from 64 U.S. Cities into September, e/w Frontier Airlines
- $99-$149 -- Central Oregon Resort w/Mountain Views, 45% Off The Lodge at Eagle Crest