Biking in Philadelphia
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
One popular treat for cyclists is to ride the paved path along the east side of the Schuylkill River; cross East Falls Bridge, and return on the west side of the river. The path begins behind the Philadelphia Museum of Art and is parallel to Kelly Drive. This 8-mi loop is about an hour of casually paced biking. Forbidden Drive, a 5½-mi dirt-and-gravel bridle path along a stream in the Wissahickon, in the northwestern section of Fairmount Park, is a great ride.
Bicycle Club of Philadelphia. The Bicycle Club of Philadelphia organizes rides on weekday evenings and weeknds in Philadelphia and some surrounding suburbs. www.phillybikeclub.org.
Philadelphia International Cycling Championship. One of the world's top biking events, the Philadelphia International Cycling Championship is held each June. The 156-mi race starts and finishes at Benjamin Franklin Parkway. Highlights include the infamous Manayunk Wall, a steep hill in the Manayunk section of the city. www.procyclingtour.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $55 -- Cirque du Soleil Big Top Show near Philly, Reg. $70 Cirque du Soleil