- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mobile AppDownload Fodor's City Guide App for FREE!
Fisher Fine Arts Library
Fisher Fine Arts Library Review
One of the finest examples remaining of the work of Philadelphia architect Frank Furness, this was the most innovative library building in the country when it opened in 1891. It was the first library to separate the reading room and the stacks. Peek into the reading room, dominated by a huge fireplace, and with study alcoves lit from skylights above. The unusual exterior stirred controversy when it was built: note the terra-cotta panels, short heavy columns, and gargoyles on the north end.
- Address: 220 S. 34th St., University City, Philadelphia, PA, 19104 | Map It
- Phone: 215/898-8325
- Cost: Free; need photo ID; admittance is more restricted in late evening, weekends and during exam periods; check website for details
- Hours: During Fall and Spring school terms, Sept. to mid-Dec and mid-Jan to--mid-May; Mon.--Thurs. 8:30 am--midnight, Fri. 8:30--8, Sat. 10--8, Sun. 10--midnight; between terms (late- Dec to early-Jan. and mid-Aug to early Sept, Mon-Fri 9am-5pm, closed weekends.
- Website: www.library.upenn.edu/finearts
- Metro 34th & Market Sts. (SEPTA Market-Frankford Blue line); 33rd & Market Sts. and 36th & Sansom Sts. (SEPTA subway-surface green lines, routes 11, 13, 34, 36).
- Location: University City
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $55 -- Cirque du Soleil Big Top Show near Philly, Reg. $70 Cirque du Soleil
Thanks in advance to all the people here who helped in the planning of this - both last year and this year! Read more
Okay, I'm a philistine when it comes to art; I knows what I likes, and that's about it. Read more
Aloha to all of you,
as we - meaning my better half and I (both in our late twenties) - are planning a four week trip to the east coast of the US, I'd love to hear some suggestions regarding our itinerary. Read more
· News & Features
Worried about your rights as a cruise ship passenger?... Read more
They say that if you put it in a tortilla, Los Angeles will eat it.... Read more
Often just a side trip from Hong Kong, Macau is known as a gambler's paradise.... Read more