When to Go
When to Go
The weather in Pennsylvania varies from region to region, but, overall, is typical of the northeastern United States. In general, the spring and fall months are the most pleasant, while winter temperatures, particularly in January and February, often hover around the freezing mark, and in summer, heat waves are common in which the thermometer can soar well into the 90s.
The following are the normal daily temperature ranges for Pittsburgh:
January 19-34°F (-7 to 1°C); February 20-37°F (-7 to 3°C); March 30-49°F (-1 to 9°C); April 39-60°F (4-16°C); May 48-71°F (9-22°C); June 57-79°F (14-26°C); July 62-83°F (17-28°C); August 60-81°F (16-27°C); September 54-74°F (12-23°C); October 42-63°F (6-17°C); November 34-50°F (1-10°C); December 24-39°F (-4 to °C).
Major national holidays include New Year's Day (Jan. 1); Martin Luther King, Jr., Day (3rd Mon. in Jan.); President's Day (3rd Mon. in Feb.); Memorial Day (last Mon. in May); Independence Day (July 4); Labor Day (1st Mon. in Sept.); Thanksgiving Day (4th Thurs. in Nov.); Christmas Eve and Christmas Day (Dec. 24 and 25); and New Year's Eve (Dec. 31).
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $140* & up -- Nationwide Flights on American, R/T American Airlines
- $170-$189 -- Downtown 4-Star Pittsburgh Hotel, up to 45% Off The Westin Convention Center, Pittsburgh