- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
A major site of the Revolutionary War is near the suburban village of Valley Forge. The town was named for an iron forge built in the 1740s.
The monuments, markers, huts, and headquarters in Valley Forge National Historical Park illuminate a decisive period in U.S. history. The park, with its quiet beauty that seems to whisper of the past, preserves the area where George Washington's Continental Army endured the bitter winter of 1777-78.
Valley Forge at a Glance
Elsewhere in Side Trips from Philadelphia
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $55 -- Cirque du Soleil Big Top Show near Philly, Reg. $70 Cirque du Soleil