Fishing in Block Island
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Most of Rhode Island's record fish have been caught on Block Island. In fact, it's held the striped bass fishing record since 1984. From almost any beach, skilled anglers can land tautog and bass. Bonito and fluke are often hooked in the New Harbor channel. Shellfishing licenses may be obtained at the town hall, on Old Town Road.
Twin Maples. Twin Maples Tackle Shop has been selling bait and handmade lures, sophisticated fishing tackle and coveted "Eat Fish" T-shirts from its rustic salt-pond setting for more than 60 years. Beach Ave., Block Island, RI, 02807. 401/466-5547. www.twinmaplesblockisland.com.
Block Island Fishworks. The tiny Block Island Fishworks in New Harbor sells a wide range of tackle including hand-tied fly-fishing leaders, and offers charter fishing trips—inshore for bass and blues, offshore for tuna and shark—guide services, and spearfishing lessons. Ocean Ave., Block Island, RI, 02807. 401/742-3992. www.bifishworks.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $167* & up -- Flights to/from Tucson on American, R/T American Airlines
- $157-$197 -- LA: Suite at 4-Star Hotel w/Rooftop Pool BookIt.com
- $118 & up -- Oahu: Waikiki Beach Hotel w/Oceanarium, 35% Off BookIt.com
- $1029 & up -- Big Island 3-Night Getaways incl. Air, Car Pleasant Holidays
- $599 & up -- Oceanview: Alaska 7-Night Summer Cruises American Express Travel