Rhode Island Feature
Top Reasons to Go to Rhode Island
Mansions: Gain a sense of Newport's Gilded Age mansion with a tour of the singularly immense and ornate 70-room Breakers mansion, built for Cornelius Vanderbilt.
Historic Street: On Providence's East Side, in the shadows of Brown University, ornate Colonial homes built by the leading merchants of the day line Benefit Street.
Nature: Block Island is one of the most serene spots on the Eastern Seaboard, especially at Rodman's Hollow, a glacial outwash basin, where winding paths lead to the sea.
Sand: South County is rife with sugary-white beaches, with Scarborough State Beach offering the best stretch to spread a blanket and admire the ocean.
Food Enclave: Eat lunch and dinner every day at a different restaurant in Providence's Federal Hill neighborhood and you still won't wear out the dining possibilities.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $104* & up -- Flights for Next Weekend on American, R/T American Airlines
- $61 & up -- Anaheim Resort near Disney, Kids Stay Free BookIt.com
- $63-$89 -- Anaheim Hotel near Disney w/Breakfast, 70% Off BookIt.com
- $675 & up -- Sheraton Kauai: 3-Nt. Vacation w/Car Rental Pleasant Holidays
- $419 & up -- Last Minute: 4-Night Bahamas & Key West Cruise Royal Caribbean