- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's FindsLowest Price Guarantee
Vanderbilt Grace Review
Built in 1909 by Alfred Gwynne Vanderbilt for his mistress Agnes O'Brien Ruiz, this Grace Hotel property aims to impress and does. More than 70 early-20th-century paintings, including magazine cover illustrations for Vogue and the The New Yorker, hang in common areas on permanent loan from the hotel's prior owner. The rooftop deck has cocktail service and a spectacular view of Newport Harbor. Enormous rooms have separate sitting areas and flat-screen TVs, DVD players, iPod/iPad/iPhone docks and high-quality mattresses. You'll be asked to choose your pillows and room scent before arrival. Informal dining is available in the Conservatory and formal dining in Muse, serving the contemporary cuisine of chef Jonathan Cartwright of Maine's renowned White Barn Inn.
The blue-blooded enclave of Newport, Rhode Island has several natty hotels facing its yacht-filled harbor, but this recently reopened (and rebranded) grand redbrick mansion a couple of blocks up the hill feels a bit more like one of the classic "summer cottages" of the city's Gilded Age. You half expect to see Commodore Cornelius Vanderbilt supping on butter-poached lobster amid the model ships in the hotel's glass-enclosed Conservatory. Beyond the slightly formal salons, elegant Muse restaurant, and luxuriant spa and indoor pool, the hotel's 33 spacious suites reflect an unfussy, contemporary aesthetic, with muted colors, mod lighting, flat-screen TVs, and iPod docks. Up on the roof, a widow's walk with 360-degree city and sea views is the place to be at sunset.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $50.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Newport Hotwire
- May deal: Francis Malbone House Fr $557+/Nt Expedia
- Visit Newport for Less: Hotels Fr $169+/Nt — $169 Travelocity
- Book the BEST WESTERN The Mainstay Inn 3 Nts in May Fr $152+/Nt — $152 Save with Expedia, $15/night less
- Book Now & Save! Newport Fr $175+/Nt — $175 Travelocity
Memorial Day marks the beginning of nice weather for the year and we planned the first trip of the year to Rhode Island. Read more
If you don't travel with young kids, then this report may bore you.....
I see posts now and then about families looking for things to do with their young children. So here is my informal trip report abou Read more
Got a super deal at the Goat Island Hyatt in mid June -- $179 a night for waterfront room with resort fees waved, free parking, free internet, and full breakfast. Read more
· News & Features
A new shore-side hotel opened earlier this month in chic Newport, Rhode Island offering everything from... Read more
Visitors to Newport are met with tons of splurge-worthy activities from yachting to the annual jazz festival,... Read more
The Providence Biltmore, an iconic hotel that has made its mark on the city's skyline for years, has bee... Read more