The Blackstone Valley Travel Guide
Fodor's New England
America's Industrial Revolution began in this region north of Providence in 1790, when the power of the Blackstone River, which runs south from Worcester, Massachusetts, was first harnessed at Pawtucket. The advent of water-powered factory mills along the 45-mi river catapulted a young agricultural United States into the Industrial Age. In the 1800s, Pawtucket and Woonsocket became large cities as a steady flow of French, Irish, and Eastern European immigrants came to work the mills, a system of canals and later railroads came into being as distribution channels, and the local industry grew. Much of that industry is gone, and the old mills are slowly being renovated into condominiums, offices, and gallery space. The Blackstone River Valley National Heritage Corridor provides a backdrop to museums, historic villages, and country drives. Most of the Blackstone Valley experience is about taking in the history of the area, understanding its importance in the country's growth, and enjoying the slices of Americana it has to offer.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best Blackstone Valley restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in The Blackstone Valley
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- $104* & up -- Flights for Next Weekend on American, R/T American Airlines
- $79 -- Orlando 1-Bedroom Suite near Disney, 20% Off Star Island Resort & Club
- $99 -- Orlando: Family Friendly 1-BR Condo near Theme Parks Wyndham Cypress Palms
- $675 & up -- Sheraton Kauai: 3-Nt. Vacation w/Car Rental Pleasant Holidays
- $599 & up -- Oceanview: Alaska 7-Night Summer Cruises American Express Travel
A new shore-side hotel opened earlier this month in chic Newport, Rhode Island offering everything from... Read more
Visitors to Newport are met with tons of splurge-worthy activities from yachting to the annual jazz festival,... Read more
The Providence Biltmore, an iconic hotel that has made its mark on the city's skyline for years, has bee... Read more
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
· Travel Planner
Places To Explore
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Memorial Day marks the beginning of nice weather for the year and we planned the first trip of the year to Rhode Island. Read more
If you don't travel with young kids, then this report may bore you.....
I see posts now and then about families looking for things to do with their young children. So here is my informal trip report abou Read more