- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
A town with a horsey history and grand colonial homes, charming Camden has never paved some of its roads for the sake of the hooves that regularly trot over them. The Carolina Cup and Colonial Cup are run here.
Camden is South Carolina's oldest inland town, dating from 1732. British General Lord Cornwallis established a garrison here during the Revolutionary War and burned most of Camden before evacuating it. A center of textile trade from the late 19th century through the 1940s, Camden blossomed when it became a refuge for Northerners escaping the cold winters. Because General Sherman spared the town during the Civil War, most of its antebellum homes still stand.
Camden at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in The Midlands and Upstate
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Columbia Savings! Book at Sleep Inn Columbia Fr $100+/Nt Expedia
- Book in Columbia: Save this May Fr $52+/Nt Save with Expedia, $18/night less
- 9% OFF Wingate by Wyndham Columbia! 2 Nts + Air Fr $324 Travelocity
- $17.95 & up : Midsize rentals in Columbia Hotwire
- Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Ft. Jackson in May: $56 & Up — $56 Expedia