- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Chattooga National Wild and Scenic River
Chattooga National Wild and Scenic River Review
Designated as a Wild and Scenic River by Congress in 1974, the Chattooga River can test the skills of even the most experienced rafters with Class V-plus runs that have names like "Crack-in-the-Rock," "Corkscrew," and "Sock-Em Dog" (which includes a stomach-sinking 7-foot drop).
Commercial rafting outfitters also run shorter, more gentle rides (Class II and below) that are appropriate for senior citizens and children as young as eight years old. The river is on the border of South Carolina and Georgia, about 38 mi northeast of Pendleton via U.S. 76 or Route 28, and is part of Sumter National Forest.
Nantahala Outdoor Center (888/905-7238. www.noc.com.).
Southeastern Expeditions (800/868-7238. www.southeasternexpeditions.com.).
Wildwater Ltd (800/451-9972 or 866/319-8870. www.wildwaterrafting.com.).
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book in Columbia: Save this May Fr $65+/Nt Expedia
- Visit Columbia for Less: Hotels Fr $139+/Nt Travelocity
- 5% OFF La Quinta Inn MainGate Fort Jackson! 11 Nts + Air Fr $793 Travelocity
- $15.95 & up : Midsize rentals in Columbia Hotwire
- Book the Hilton Columbia Center 3 Nts in May Fr $189+/Nt — $189 Expedia
My Lady Wife and I visited Charleston this week for an anniversary present to ourselves.
We stayed at
No. 4 Unity Alley B&B Very nice accommodations. Large A/C room with a jacuzzi tub. The Read more
When most people think of SC they think of Charleston or the beaches. Read more
Two of us will be embarking on a road trip in mid December. Read more
· News & Features
A New York City judge has ruled against the use of apartments for "transient tenants," which includes... Read more
Memorial Day is the unofficial start of what we like to call "weekend getaway season."... Read more
Wineries have a very obvious main draw.... Read more