Planning Your Time
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Planning Your Time
The Midlands and Upstate have a wonderful mix of larger cities and small towns and villages. Columbia and Greenville are destinations on their own, with plenty of sites, stores, and high-end eateries. However, the dozens of surrounding towns offer great day trips and shopping excursions, especially if you're looking to go antiquing. Aiken offers a chance to spend the day with the horses at major events like the Triple Crown each spring and Sunday polo matches every fall.
Miles of forested land and winding rivers offer plenty of reasons to stay outdoors. With options covering everything from hiking and mountain biking to motorcycle paths and bridle trails, it's easy to find an excuse to head into the woods. The Palmetto Trail stretches across the entire state and can be walked in segments. The South Carolina National Heritage Corridor allows visitors to take a driving tour of some of South Carolina's major historic sites from the foothills of the Smokies to the coast of Charleston. The Ninety Six National Historic Site offers a mile-long loop through the woods, past Revolutionary War battlegrounds.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Small budget: Stay in Columbia this May Fr $93+/Nt Expedia
- Book 3-Star SpringHill Suites Columbia Downtown Fr $178+/Nt Expedia
- $15.95 & up : Full Size rentals in Columbia Hotwire
- Save in Columbia: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $56+/Nt — $56 Expedia
- $13.95 & up : Midsize rentals in Columbia — $14 Hotwire