Hiking in Mt. Rushmore and the Black Hills
Fossil Exhibit Trail and Cliff Shelf Nature Trail are must-dos, but even these popular trails are primitive, so don't expect to see bathrooms or any hiking surfaces other than packed dirt and gravel. Because the weather here can be so variable, rangers suggest that you be prepared for anything. Wear sunglasses, a hat, and long pants, and have rain gear available. It's illegal to interfere with park resources, which includes everything from rocks and fossils to plants and artifacts. Stay at least 100 yards away from wildlife. Because of the dry climate, open fires are never allowed. Tell friends, relatives, and the park rangers if you're going to embark on a multiday expedition. If you have a cell phone with you, assume that it won't get a signal in the park. But most important of all, be sure to bring your own water. Sources of water in the park are few and far between, and none of them are drinkable. All water in the park is contaminated by minerals and sediment, and park authorities warn that it's untreatable. If you're backpacking into the wilderness, bring at least a gallon of water per person per day. For day hikes, rangers suggest you drink at least a quart per person per hour.
Located in the Rushmore Mall, Scheels All Sports is an everyday, all-purpose outfitter. Whatever outdoor activity you have in mind, Scheels provides equipment and advice for locals and visitors alike. Whether it's for golf, paintball, biking, or hiking, Scheels offers top-of-the-line equipment at only slightly inflated prices. At this writing, Scheels was planning to open a larger store a few miles east, just off Exit 60 along I-90, of its current Rapid City location in Spring 2009. 480 Rushmore Mall, 2200 N. Maple Ave., Rapid City, SD. 605/342-9033. www.scheelssports.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $66.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Rapid City Hotwire
- Rapid City Savings! Book at Hampton Inn Rapid City Fr $218+/Nt Expedia
- $24.95 & up : Full Size rentals in Rapid City Hotwire
- Visit Rapid City for Less: Hotels Fr $55+/Nt — $55 Travelocity
- $21.95 & up : Compact rentals in Rapid City — $22 Hotwire