Mt. Rushmore and the Black Hills Feature
Top Reasons to Go to Mt. Rushmore and the Black Hills
Underground exploring: Wind Cave offers visitors the chance to get their hands and feet dirty on a four-hour guided tour through one of American's longest and most complex caves.
The call of the wild: Wind Cave National Park boasts a wide variety of animals: bison, coyote, deer, antelope, elk, prairie dogs, and 37 species of birds, to name just a few.
Education by candlelight: Wind Cave offers numerous educational and interpretive programs, including the Candlelight Cave Tour, which allows guests to explore the cave only by candlelight.
Noteworthy neighbors: On the north border of Wind Cave sits Custer State Park, one of South Dakota's can't-miss areas. With its close proximity to numerous other national parks, state parks, and other monuments and memorials, Wind Cave is situated perfectly to explore some of American's greatest national treasures.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $48.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Rapid City Hotwire
- Rapid City Savings! Book at Sleep Inn & Suites Fr $125+/Nt Expedia
- $23.95 & up : Full Size rentals in Rapid City Hotwire
- Visit Rapid City for Less: Hotels Fr $55+/Nt — $55 Travelocity
- $21.95 & up : Compact rentals in Rapid City — $22 Hotwire