- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The visitor center is entirely wheelchair accessible, but only a few areas of the cave itself are navigable by those with limited mobility. Arrangements can be made in advance for a special ranger-assisted tour for a small fee.
Admission Fees and Permits
There's no fee to enter the park; cave tours cost $7-$23. The requisite backcountry camping and horseback riding permits are both free from the visitor center.
The park is open year-round. It is in the mountain time zone.
There are no ATMs in the park. The nearest ATM and bank to the park is at the Wells Fargo Bank in Hot Springs.
Automobile Service Stations
Big D Oil Company (381 U.S. 16, Custer, SD. 605/673-2262.)
Norton's Sinclair (1845 University Ave., Hot Springs, SD, 57747. 605/745-3219.)
Cell-phone reception is hit-and-miss in the park, and western South Dakota is only serviced by Verizon Wireless and Alltel, so those with other carriers may be charged roaming fees. You won't find a public phone in the park.
Dial 911 for emergencies, then call the visitor center at 605/745-4600. Rangers can provide basic first aid. Further medical attention is available at Custer Community Hospital in Custer, Southern Hills Hospital in Hot Springs, or Rapid City Regional Hospital. Report a fire at the visitor center.
Public restrooms may be found at the visitor center and Elk Mountain Campground.
Shops and Grocers
There are no stores within the park, even though you can find a vending area with snacks at the visitor center. You can find basic groceries and camping supplies at shops in Custer or Hot Springs.
Park Contact Information
Wind Cave National Park. Wind Cave National Park 26611 U., S. 385, Hot Springs, SD, 57747. 605/745-4600. www.nps.gov/wica.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $48.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Rapid City Hotwire
- Book 3-Star The Alex Johnson, an Ascend Collection Fr $153+/Nt Expedia
- $23.95 & up : Full Size rentals in Rapid City Hotwire
- Visit Rapid City for Less: Hotels Fr $55+/Nt — $55 Travelocity
- $21.95 & up : Compact rentals in Rapid City — $22 Hotwire