Big Bend National Park Feature
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go to Big Bend National Park
Varied terrain: Visit gilded desert, a fabled river, bird-filled woods, and mountain spirals all in the same day.
Wonderful wildlife: Catch sight of the park's extremely diverse number of animals, including approximately two dozen shy mountain lions and eight to twelve lumbering bears.
Bird-watching: Spy a pied-billed grebe or another member of the park's more than 400 bird species, including the Lucifer hummingbird and the unique-to-this-area pato mexicano (Mexican duck).
Hot spots: Dip into the natural hot springs (105°F) near Rio Grande Village.
Mile-high mountains: Lace up those hiking boots and climb the Chisos Mountains, reaching almost 8,000 feet skyward in some places and remaining cool even during the most scorching Southern summer.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $140* & up -- Nationwide Flights on American, R/T American Airlines
- $99 -- Dallas 4-Star Hotel w/Breakfast & Parking, 40% Off The Westin Dallas Fort Worth Airport
- $109 -- Houston: Downtown Hotel near Convention Center Courtyard Houston Downtown/Convention Center
- $11.12 & up -- Car Rentals across Texas CarRentals.com
- $104* & up -- Flights for Next Weekend on American, R/T — $104 American Airlines