Big Bend National Park Feature
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Flora and Fauna
Because Big Bend contains habitats as diverse as spent volcanoes, slick-sided canyons, and the Rio Grande, it follows that species here are extremely diverse, too. Among the park's most notable residents are endangered species like the agave- and cactus-eating Mexican long-nosed bat, shadow-dappled peregrine falcon, and fat-bellied horned lizard (Texans call them "horny toads"). More than 450 species of birds wing throughout the park, including the black-capped vireo and the turkey vulture, which boasts a 6-foot wingspan.
In the highlands two-dozen mountain lions lurk, while black bears loll in the crags and valleys. Your chances of spotting the reclusive creatures are rare, though greater in the early morning. If you do encounter either, don't run away. Instead, stand tall, shout, and look as scary as possible.
If the winged, furred, and legged denizens of Big Bend are watch-worthy, so, too, are the plants populating the region. Supremely adapted to the arroyos, valleys, and slopes, the plants range from the endangered Chisos Mountains hedgehog cactus (found only in the park) to the towering rasp of the giant dagger yucca. Also here are 60 types of cacti—so be careful where you tread.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $140* & up -- Nationwide Flights on American, R/T American Airlines
- $99 -- Dallas 4-Star Hotel w/Breakfast & Parking, 40% Off The Westin Dallas Fort Worth Airport
- $169 -- Dallas 4-Star Hotel incl. Weekends, 50% Off Sheraton Dallas Hotel
- $11.12 & up -- Car Rentals across Texas CarRentals.com
- $104* & up -- Flights for Next Weekend on American, R/T — $104 American Airlines