Big Bend National Park Feature
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Naturalist's Big Bend, by Roland H. Wauer and Carl M. Fleming, paints a picture of the park's diverse plants and animals.
Big Bend, The Story Behind the Scenery, by Carol E. Sperling and Mary L. Van Camp, is rife with colorful photos illustrating the park's history and geology.
For gleeful and awestruck thoughts on the Big Bend wilderness, check out God's Country or Devil's Playground, which collects the writing of nearly 60 authors.
The Natural History Association's Road Guide ($1.95) gives in-depth information on the web of paved and improved dirt roads running through the park—and the views you can see from them. Find it on sale at park visitor centers.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $104* & up -- Flights for Next Weekend on American, R/T American Airlines
- $99 -- Dallas 4-Star Hotel w/Breakfast & Parking, 40% Off The Westin Dallas Fort Worth Airport
- $169 -- Dallas 4-Star Hotel incl. Weekends, 50% Off Sheraton Dallas Hotel
- $11.12 & up -- Car Rentals across Texas CarRentals.com
- $57 -- 4-Star North Dallas Hotel — $57 Hotwire.com