- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Visitor centers and some campsites at Rio Grande Village and Chisos Basin are wheelchair accessible. The Founder's Walk and Panther Path at Panther Junction; Window View Trail at Chisos Basin; and Rio Grande Village Nature Trail boardwalk are wheelchair-accessible trails. The Rio Grande and Chisos Basin amphitheaters also are accessible.
Admission Fees and Permits
It costs $20 to enter at the gate, and your pass is good for seven days. Camping fees in developed campgrounds are $14 per night, while backcountry camping is $10 for up to 14 days. Mandatory backcountry camping, boating, and fishing permits are available at visitor centers.
Big Bend National Park never closes. Visitor centers may be closed Christmas Day. The park is in the central time zone.
The Rio Grande Village store and Chisos Basin Lodge have ATMs.
Automobile Service Stations
There are two Fina gas stations in the park: at the one at Panther Junction does minor work (oil and tires), and the one at Rio Grande Village offers gas, and propane for camp stoves.
Panther Junction Service Station. Be prepared to pay a few cents more for gas at this conveniently located station, close to Chisos Mountains Lodge and all Chisos Basin attractions. 26 mi south of north park entrance, Big Bend National Park, TX, 79834. 432/477-2294.
Rio Grande Village Service Station. Given its remote location, this service station and attendant convenience store are an oasis for travelers. 22 mi southeast of Panther Junction, Big Bend National Park, TX, 79834. 432/477-2293.
Terlingua Auto. This garage offers a range of tire and mechanical work. Off Hwy. 170, Terlingua, TX, 79852. 432/371-2223.
Cell phones do not often work in the park. Public telephones can be found at the visitor centers.
Dial 911 or 432/477-1188. Medical services are just outside the park in tiny communities along Route 170.
Big Bend Regional Medical Center. This hospital provides a range of services, including emergency care, lab work, physical therapy and a pharmacy. 2600 N. Hwy. 118, Alpine, TX, 79830. 432/837-3447.
Terlingua Medics. Terlingua, TX, 79852. 432/371-2536.
Park Contact Information
Big Bend National Park (P.O. Box 129, Big Bend National Park, TX, 79834. 432/477-2251. www.nps.gov/bibe.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $59* & up -- Fares from 64 U.S. Cities into September, e/w Frontier Airlines
- $99-$149 -- Galveston Beachside Resort thru Spring, 45% Off Holiday Inn Resorts Galveston on the Beach
- $109 -- Houston: Downtown Hotel near Convention Center Courtyard Houston Downtown/Convention Center
- $8 & up -- Car Rentals across Texas CarRentals.com
- $118 & up -- Dallas 4-Star Hotel incl. Weekends, 50% Off — $118 Sheraton Dallas Hotel