When to Go
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
When to Go
The DFW area is reliably hot (and usually humid) in the summer. The forecast during the rest of the year is less reliable, but it's safe to say you rarely need a down parka or snow boots 'round these parts. Early spring can be cold or mild, late spring mild or hot; early fall hot or mild, late fall mild or cold. Winter? Who knows—you may get caught in an ice storm, or you may see children playing outside in shorts and T-shirts.
Spring and fall are great times to visit if you're a fan of festivals. Spring brings Dallas Blooms to the Arboretum; the arts and music festival Wildflower! in suburban Richardson; the Main St. Fort Worth Art Festival; the American Film Institute Festival at Victory Park; Taste Addison; and Main Street Days in Grapevine. Fall offers Grapevine's GrapeFest; the Greek Food Festival at Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Church, a large Dallas congregation; Addison Oktoberfest; and the biggest attraction of them all, the three-week State Fair of Texas in Dallas.
The Christmas season is also a special time in the area. It never gets North Pole cold, and plenty of folks are eager to celebrate. The Neiman Marcus Adolphus Children's Parade kicks off the season, just about every suburb hosts a tree-lighting or day of festivities, the malls are in high gear, and some neighborhoods spare no expense in decorating homes with blinding light displays.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $104* & up -- Flights for Next Weekend on American, R/T American Airlines
- $118 & up -- Dallas 4-Star Hotel incl. Weekends, 50% Off Sheraton Dallas Hotel
- $57 -- 4-Star North Dallas Hotel Hotwire.com
- $11.12 & up -- Car Rentals across Texas CarRentals.com