The wheelchair-accessible Headquarters Visitor Center has a wheelchair available for use. The ¾-mi round-trip Pinery Trail from the visitor center to Butterfield Stage Ruins is wheelchair accessible, as is McKittrick Contact Station.
The park is open 24/7, year-round. It is in the mountain time zone.
Admission Fees and Permits
An admission fee of $8 is collected at the visitor center. For overnight backpacking trips, you must get a free permit from either Headquarters Visitor Center or Dog Canyon Ranger Station.
There are no ATMs in the park. The nearest ones are in White's City or Carlsbad.
Automobile Service Station
White's City 24-Hour Texaco. White's City 24-Hour Shell is an unmanned station that takes credit cards only on outside gas pumps. 17 Carlsbad Caverns Hwy., White's City, NM. 575/785-2291.
Cell phones with far-reaching service can pick up signals at key points along trails. Alternatively, public phones are located at Dog Canyon Ranger Station, Headquarters Visitor Center, McKittrick Contact Station, and Pine Springs Campground.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $104* & up -- Flights for Next Weekend on American, R/T American Airlines
- $109 -- Houston: Downtown Hotel near Convention Center Courtyard Houston Downtown/Convention Center
- $118 & up -- Dallas 4-Star Hotel incl. Weekends, 50% Off Sheraton Dallas Hotel
- $11.12 & up -- Car Rentals across Texas CarRentals.com
- $57 -- 4-Star North Dallas Hotel — $57 Hotwire.com