Nightlife & the Arts in Houston and Galveston
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Houston and Galveston Nightlife
Houston's nightlife scene seems to be constantly on the move. Right now most of the action is centered in Midtown—between the Pierce Elevated and West Alabama on the north and south, respectively, and stretching from San Jacinto St. on the East to Brazos on the West. Healthy outposts can also be found downtown, in Montrose, and along Washington Avenue (streching from downtown to Memorial Park). There are popular places in the Uptown/Galleria area, too, but you'll find more international tourists and an older crowd than hard-partying twenty- and thirtysomethings.
The great thing about Midtown is that once you park you're within walking distance of all the area's hottest new places, as well as some old standbys. If you don't like crowds, loud drunks, or young people in general, this might not be the best place for you.
Houston's performing-arts scene is located downtown, and the city is one of the few in the United States with four resident performance companies (symphony, ballet, opera, and theater). Shows are staged at Jones Hall, the Alley Theatre, and the Wortham Theater Center.
For complete listings of current events, check out the Houston Chronicle, Houston Press, and Where magazine.
Browse Houston and Galveston Nightlife
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $99-$149 -- Galveston Beachside Resort thru Spring, 45% Off Holiday Inn Resorts Galveston on the Beach
- $109 -- Houston: Downtown Hotel near Convention Center Courtyard Houston Downtown/Convention Center
- $8 & up -- Car Rentals across Texas CarRentals.com