Sights & Attractions in The Hill Country
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Hill Country Sights
The Hill Country encompasses the region west and southwest of Austin and north of San Antonio. The distance between these two gateway cities is 60 mi. Interstate 35 marks the eastern border, while San Antonio's State Loop 1604 notes the southern limit. The northern border is ambiguous, but generally includes everything south of Lake Buchanan and along Highway 29. The western border is also open to interpretation, but is best followed along U.S. 83 from Junction to Uvalde.
Along the many winding roads of these boundaries are the fabled music towns of Luckenbach and Gruene, the tourist draws of Fredericksburg, Marble Falls, and Boerne, and a few best-kept secrets sprinkled in between: Comfort, Mason, and Wimberley, to name a few.
Fredericksburg is the number-one tourist draw, so we start our coverage there. It's also easily accessed from both Austin and San Antonio.
Browse Hill Country Sights
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Kerrville Fr $73+/Nt Expedia
- Look no Further! Kerrville Hotels Fr $54+/Nt Travelocity
- Visit Kerrville for Less: Hotels Fr $75+/Nt — $75 Travelocity