- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Wimberley's windy little roads, shady oak and cypress trees, and compact town square give it the feel of an English village. Established in 1848 with only a small trading post to its name, Wimberley's first industries were lumber and shingle making. The Blanco River and Cypress Creek, which run through the city, fueled the Wimberley Mill. But the Great Depression left the town stagnant with the exception of a few working ranches.
The 1980s saw a revitalization in Wimberley as it began to gain notice as a retirement and artists' community. Galleries and shops selling local artists' Hill Country creations, from oils paintings to crafts, are found throughout Wimberley Village Square.
Need a Break?
Wimberley Pie Company. Tell anyone in Central Texas that you're heading for Wimberley and the first response you likely may hear: "Be sure to get some pie at the Wimberley Pie Company!" The dimly lit glass case along the front of the shop is filled with fresh, vacuum-sealed pies ready to be picked up and taken to some lucky home, but you can also grab a slice from pies right out of the oven. The traditional cherry pie has a perfect balance of tart and sweet. 13619 RR 12, just east of the town square, Wimberley, TX. 512/847-5588. No credit cards. Closed Mon.-Tues. and major holidays.
Wimberley at a Glance
Elsewhere in The Hill Country
- Enchanted Rock State Natural Area
- Horseshoe Bay
- Johnson City
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $94.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Kerrville Hotwire
- Book in Kerrville: Save this May Fr $163+/Nt Expedia
- Book Now & Save! Kerrville Fr $49+/Nt — $49 Travelocity
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Kerrville Fr $73+/Nt — $73 Expedia
- Visit Kerrville for Less: Hotels Fr $67+/Nt — $67 Travelocity