Bird-watching in Arches National Park
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Within the park you'll definitely see plenty of the big, black, beautiful raven. Look for them perched on top of a picturesque juniper branch or balancing on the bald knob of a rock. The noisy black-billed magpie populates the park, as do the more melodic canyon and rock wrens. Lucky visitors will spot a red-tailed hawk and hear its distinctive call.
Serious birders will have more fun visiting the Scott M. Matheson Wetlands Preserve just 5 mi south of the park. The wetlands is home to more than 225 species of birds including the wood duck, western screech owl, indigo bunting, and plumbeous vireo.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Moab Fr $165+/Nt Expedia
- $112.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Moab Hotwire
- $68.99 & up : Full Size rentals in Moab Hotwire
- Book in Moab: Save at the Ramada Moab Downtown in May Fr $227+/Nt — $227 Expedia
- $62.99 & up : Midsize rentals in Moab — $63 Hotwire