Arches in One Day
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Arches in One Day
Start early, while the day is still cool, with a 3-mi round-trip hike on the Delicate Arch Trail. The route is strenuous but quite rewarding. Pause for a healthy snack before heading for Landscape Arch, the second of the park's two must-see arches. To get there you must hike through Devils Garden, a great spot for morning photography.
If you're accustomed to hiking you might next hike out to Double O, a trip that is well worth the effort but that can be tough after the hike to Delicate Arch—especially in July or August. If you do hike to Double O, take your lunch with you and have a picnic in the shade of a juniper or in a rock alcove. By the time you return you'll be ready to see the rest of the park by car, with some short strolls on easy paths.
In the mid- to late afternoon, drive to Balanced Rock for photos, then on to the Windows. Wander around on the easy gravel paths for more great photo ops. Depending on what time the sun is due to set, go into town for dinner before or after you drive out to Delicate Arch or the Fiery Furnace and watch the sun set the rocks on fire.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $116.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Moab Hotwire
- Book 3 Nts in Moab this May Fr $165+/Nt Expedia
- $68.99 & up : Full Size rentals in Moab Hotwire
- Save in Moab: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $227+/Nt — $227 Expedia
- $62.99 & up : Midsize rentals in Moab — $63 Hotwire