When to Go
When to Go
The busiest times of year for the park are spring and fall. Canyonlands is seldom crowded, but in the spring, backpackers and four-wheelers populate the trails and roads. During Easter week, some of the four-wheel-drive trails in the park are used for Jeep Safari, an annual event drawing thousands of visitors to town.
The crowds thin out by July as the thermostat approaches 100°F and beyond for about four weeks. It's a great time to get out on the Colorado or Green River winding through the park. October can be rainy, but the region only receives 8 inches of rain annually.
The well-kept secret is that winter is the best time in the park. Crowds are gone, roads are good, and snowcapped mountains stand in the background.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $116.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Moab Hotwire
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Moab Fr $165+/Nt Expedia
- $68.99 & up : Full Size rentals in Moab Hotwire
- Book in Moab: Save at the Ramada Moab Downtown in May Fr $227+/Nt — $227 Expedia
- $62.99 & up : Midsize rentals in Moab — $63 Hotwire