There are currently no trails in Canyonlands that are accessible to people in wheelchairs, but Grand View Point and Buck Canyon Overlook at Island in the Sky are wheelchair accessible. The visitor centers at the Island in the Sky and Needles districts are also accessible, and the park's pit toilets are accessible with some assistance.
Admission Fees and Permits
Admission is $10 per vehicle and $5 per person on foot, motorcycle, or bicycle, good for seven days. Your Canyonlands pass is good for all the park's districts. There's no entrance fee to the Maze District of Canyonlands. A $25 local park pass grants you admission to both Arches and Canyonlands as well as Natural Bridges and Hovenweep national monuments for one year.
You need a permit for overnight backpacking, four-wheel-drive camping, mountain-bike camping, four-wheel-drive day use in Horse and Lavender canyons (Needles District), and river trips. Reservations need to be made two weeks (or more) in advance. The backcountry reservations office can be reached at 435/259-4351.
Canyonlands National Park is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, year-round. It is in the mountain time zone.
The park has no ATM. The nearest ATMs and banks are in Moab.
Wells Fargo Bank (4 N. Main St., Moab, UT, 84532. 16 S. Main St., Monticello, 84535.)
Zions Bank (300 S. Main St., Moab, UT, 84532.)
Cell-phone reception may be available in some parts of the park, but not reliably so. Public telephones are at the park's visitor centers.
In the event of a fire or a medical emergency, dial 911 or contact a park ranger. There are no first-aid stations in the park; report to the visitor center for assistance. The closest hospitals are in Moab and Monticello. To reach law enforcement, dial 911 or contact a park ranger (rangers are on hand at the visitor center during operating hours).
Park Contact Information
Canyonlands National Park. Canyonlands National Park 2282 W. Resource Blvd., Moab, UT, 84532. 435/719-2313. www.nps.gov/cany.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book in Moab: Save at the Ramada Moab Downtown in May Fr $227+/Nt Expedia
- $104.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Moab Hotwire
- $62.99 & up : Midsize rentals in Moab Hotwire
- May deal: Rodeway Inn & Suites Landmark Inn Fr $150+/Nt — $150 Expedia
- $68.99 & up : Full Size rentals in Moab — $69 Hotwire