Dinosaurland and Eastern Utah Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go
One great gorge: The most jaw-dropping spot in eastern Utah is the Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area. The quite cold water under the gorge's reddish, steep walls is a serene place to fish and boat, and the surrounding open space makes for good camping and hiking.
Dino-mite: Come to Dinosaur National Monument to see the famous dinosaur fossils or just to camp in some truly remote country. For the most exciting introduction to the monument, take a guided river rafting trip through it.
Frugal fun: Vernal is a favorite for its low-cost entertainment. Head to a museum, go bowling, or go back in time at its quaint drive-in movie theater, which offers back-to-back films on weekends.
Bike Vernal: In the last few years almost 200 mi of former cow trails around Vernal have been converted for use by mountain bikes. The sport is still getting a foothold in the area, so that means the paths are often blissfully empty—for now.
Alone in the swell: The San Rafael Swell is one of the least crowded spots in a region that's already known for its sparse population. If you're looking to get away from everyone—all the while hiking, biking, and boating—these miles of domed rock might be exactly what you need.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book in Vernal Fr $181+/Nt Hotels.com
- May deal: Landmark Inn and Suites Fr $166+/Nt Expedia
- Super Low Vernal Rate: Book Fr $199+/Nt — $199 Hotels.com
- Save Big This May! Book 3 Nts in Vernal Fr $134+/Nt — $134 Expedia
- Book 3 Nts in Vernal this May Fr $134+/Nt — $134 Expedia