Moab and Southeastern Utah Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go
Beauty from another world: There is simply nothing like the scenery here. Whether you're visiting the popular Arches or Canyonlands National Parks or exploring an empty trail on Bureau of Land Management land on your own, it's almost certain that the terra-cotta expanse of moonlike rock and open desert will affect your very core.
Get out and play: About the only outdoor activity not available here is surfing. Mountain and road biking, rafting, rock climbing, hiking, four wheeling, and cross-country skiing are all wildly popular. Go it alone or choose guided adventures offered by the many local outfitters.
Creature comforts: Although remote, southeastern Utah—and Moab, in particular—has an array of lodging and dining options. Sure, greasy spoons and cheap digs abound, but so do elegant bistros, fancy hotels, and quaint B&Bs.
Catch a festival: Especially in the spring and summer months, this area is chock-full of gatherings focused on art, music, and recreation. Some of the best-known are the Moab Music Festival and Moab's weeklong Easter Jeep Safari—but there are plenty more.
Another state of being: Something about the openness of this desert creates a scrappy, friendly culture, one where time and money aren't the main focus. Enjoy the vacation, but be careful. Once that red rock gets in your blood, you might never leave.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $186.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Moab Hotwire
- Save in Moab: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $227+/Nt Expedia
- $68.99 & up : Full Size rentals in Moab Hotwire
- Book 3 Nts in Moab this May Fr $165+/Nt — $165 Expedia
- $62.99 & up : Midsize rentals in Moab — $63 Hotwire