- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Consistently good fishing, mild canyon winds, and water warmer than you'd expect are responsible for Deer Creek State Park's popularity with windsurfers, sailboaters, swimmers, and those just kicking back in the mountain sunshine. U.S. 189, 5 mi south of Heber, Heber City, UT, 84049. 435/654-0171. www.stateparks.utah.gov. $10 day-use fee. Daily 6 am-10 pm.
Jordanelle State Park has two recreation areas on a large mountain reservoir. The Hailstone area, 10 mi north of Heber City via U.S. 40, offers tent and RV camping and day-use areas. There are also boat ramps, playgrounds, and a marina store where water toys (wave runners and the like) can be rented. To the east, across the reservoir on Route 32, the Rock Cliff area and facilities are near the Provo River. This is a quiet part of the park known for excellent wildlife-watching, particularly along a series of elevated boardwalks winding through the aspen forest. The 50 campsites here are all walk-ins. The Rock Cliff Nature Center provides interpretation of the area's rich natural history. Hwy. 32, 10 mi east of Heber, Heber City, UT, 84032. 435/649-9540 Hailstone; 435/782-3030 Rock Cliff. www.stateparks.utah.gov. Hailstone $10 per vehicle, Rock Cliff $7 per vehicle.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book 3-Star Courtyard Provo Fr $169+/Nt Expedia
- Book Now & Save! Provo Fr $99+/Nt Travelocity
- $81.49 & up : Midsize rentals in Provo Hotwire
- La Quinta Inn Provo Town Center in May: $104 & Up — $104 Expedia
- $84.49 & up : Full Size rentals in Provo — $85 Hotwire