Sights & Attractions in Salt Lake City
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Salt Lake City Sights
Salt Lake City is a visitor-friendly city with a remarkable assortment of shopping, culture, and arts. Start with a stroll around the city center, devoting as much time to Temple Square, the heart of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, as you desire. Within blocks, you'll find museums, theaters, historic buildings, and shopping. Reminders of the 2002 Winter Olympics are scattered throughout.
Be warned, however, that a 10-year, $2 billion redevelopment of downtown (called "Downtown Rising") began in 2008 and is systematically disrupting virtually every major street and building in the downtown district. Visit www.downtownrising.com for important updates.
Then, branch out into the surrounding neighborhoods to capture more of the flavor of the city.
Like most Utah municipalities, Salt Lake City is based on a grid plan that was devised by Brigham Young in the 19th century. Most street names have a directional and a numerical designation, which describes their location in relation to one of two axes. Streets with "East" or "West" in their names are east or west of (and parallel to) Main Street, which runs north-south; while "North" and "South" streets run parallel to South Temple Street.
The numbers tell how far the streets are from the axes. (For example, 200 East Street is two blocks east of Main Street.) Addresses typically include two directional references and two numerical references—320 East 200 South Street, for instance, is in the east 300 block of 200 South Street. Three of Salt Lake's most prominent streets are named after the Mormon Temple: North Temple, South Temple, and West Temple, indicating that the streets run parallel to the north, south, and west borders of Temple Square. Main Street borders the square's east side.
Browse Salt Lake City Sights
- Architectural Sites
- Commercial Districts
- Convention Centers
- Gardens / Arboretums
- Government Buildings
- Historic Districts / Sites
- Houses / Mansions
- Information Centers
- Markets / Bazaars
- Museums / Galleries
- Observatories / Planetariums
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $58 & Up: Cheap Salt Lake City Stay Save with Hotels.com, $14/night less
- $172.00 & up : 5-star hotels in Salt Lake City Hotwire
- 9% OFF Little America! 10 Nts + Air Fr $821 Travelocity
- $10.00 & up : Midsize rentals in Salt Lake City Hotwire
- 3.5-Star Radisson Salt Lake City Airport Fr $123+/Nt — $123 Save with Hotels.com, $16/night less