- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Rich iron-ore deposits here grabbed Mormon leader Brigham Young's attention, and he ordered a Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS) mission established. The first ironworks and foundry opened in 1851 and operated for only eight years; problems with the furnace, flooding, and hostility between settlers and Native Americans eventually put out the flame. Residents then turned to ranching and agriculture for their livelihood, and Cedar City thrived thereafter.
Cedar City calls itself "The Festival City." The Southern Utah University campus hosts the city's major event, the Utah Shakespearean Festival, which has been stretching its season longer and longer as its reputation has grown. Though better known for festivals than recreation, the city is well placed for exploring the Brian Head area.
Cedar City at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in Southwestern Utah
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book 3-Star Hilton Garden Inn St. George Fr $98+/Nt Expedia
- Visit St. George for Less: Hotels Fr $89+/Nt Travelocity
- $28.57 & up : Full Size rentals in Saint George Hotwire
- Save in St. George: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $105+/Nt — $105 Expedia
- $23.71 & up : Compact rentals in Saint George — $24 Hotwire