When to Go
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
When to Go
Year-round, far southwestern Utah is the warmest region in the state; St. George is usually the first city to break 100°F every year, and even the winters remain mild at lower desert elevations. Despite the heat, most people visit from June to September, making the off-season a pleasantly uncrowded experience for those willing and able to travel from fall to spring. Incidentally, Utahns from the north tend to stay away from the southern parts of the state during peak months for the very reasons—intense, dry heat and unyielding sun—that attract so many travelers from out of state. If you decide to brave the heat, wear sunscreen and drink lots of water, regardless of your activity level.
Farther east, around the Brian Head-Cedar Breaks National Monument area, elevations approach and surpass 9,000 feet, making for more temperamental weather, intermittent and seasonal road closures due to snow, and downright cold nights well into June. At this altitude the warm summer sun is perfectly balanced by the coolness of the alpine forests during the day. While the peak season at most locations is summer, it's a different story at Brian Head, where snow sports dominate; still, the resort has been pushing its summer recreation lineup of mountain biking and hiking, and the trails here are some of the finest in all of Utah.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Visit St. George for Less: Hotels Fr $40+/Nt Travelocity
- Special deal: 3-Star Hilton Garden Inn St. George Fr $98+/Nt Expedia
- $22.95 & up : Midsize rentals in Saint George Hotwire
- Visit St. George for Less: Hotels Fr $79+/Nt — $79 Travelocity
- $25.95 & up : Full Size rentals in Saint George — $26 Hotwire