Southern Vermont Travel Guide
Fodor's Maine, Vermont, and New Hampshire
Cross into the Green Mountain State from Massachusetts on Interstate 91, and you might feel as if you've entered a new country. There isn't a town in sight. What you see are forested hills punctuated by rolling pastures. When you reach Brattleboro, no fast-food joints or strip malls line the exits to signal your arrival at southeastern Vermont's gateway city. En route to downtown, you pass by Victorian-era homes on tree-lined streets. From Brattleboro, you can cross over the spine of the Green Mountains toward Bennington and Manchester.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best Southern Vermont restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in Southern Vermont
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- Explore Springfield For Less! Book Fr $140+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $14/night less
- Book in Springfield: Save this May Fr $172+/Nt Expedia
In a time when "authentic" is a travel buzzword, its America's small towns that are drawing in visitors ... Read more
Vermont is a food lover's heaven with farmers' markets, microbreweries, working farms, the Ben & Jerry's... Read more
Who better to point us in the direction of our new favorite ski destination than Olympic, World Cup, and... Read more
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Now64° F Light Rain 93% Humidity May 24, 2013 at 4:54AM
Check historic weather for your trip datesArriving:
Places To Explore
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
I know this is a somewhat suggestive title and a little misleading. Read more
I took a three hour class at King Arthur Flour Baking Education Center in Norwich VT which was a lot of fun. Read more