- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The historic town of Winchester is widely known as the birthplace of one of country music's most beloved stars, Patsy Cline. Cline hit it big when she won the Arthur Godfrey talent show, but died tragically in a plane crash at the peak of her career in 1963. She is buried in Winchester's Shenandoah Memorial Park, where a bell tower was erected in her honor.
Winchester served as a headquarters for Colonel George Washington during the French and Indian War. During the Civil War it was an important crossroads near the front line. It changed hands 72 times during the war, and was General Stonewall Jackson's headquarters for nearly two years.
Today the Old Town features a multiblock pedestrian mall filled with boutiques and restaurants, as well as must-see museums including George Washington's Office Museum and the Old Courthouse Civil War Museum.
Winchester at a Glance
Elsewhere in Central and Western Virginia
- Bath County
- Blacksburg and the New River Valley
- Blue Ridge Parkway
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- May deal: Holiday Inn Charlottesville-Monticello Fr $168+/Nt Expedia
- Book in Charlottesville Fr $96+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $40/night less
- $16.95 & up : Full Size rentals in Charlottesville Hotwire
- May deal: Doubletree by Hilton Charlottesville Fr $147+/Nt — $147 Expedia
- $10.95 & up : Compact rentals in Charlottesville — $11 Hotwire