Richmond, Fredericksburg and the Northern Neck Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
Top Reasons to Go to Richmond, Fredericksburg, and the Northern Neck
Soak Up Art from around the World: After a massive expansion that doubled its exhibition space, Richmond's Virginia Museum of Fine Arts welcomes visitors to the new James W. and Frances G. McGlothlin Wing. Spectacular expanses of glass allow natural light to pour in, and also give visitors stunning views of the new E. Claiborne and Lora Robins Sculpture Garden and Mary Morton Parsons Plaza.
Experience the Civil War Sesquicentennial: Richmond, with more Civil War battlefields than any other state, will see a host of special events and educational programs running through 2015, emphasizing the experiences and effects of the war on the nation.
Contemplate Colonial Design and Revolutionary History: Patrick Henry delivered his fiery "give me liberty or give me death" speech at historic St. John's Church in Richmond, and several gems of Colonial art and architecture survive at the working river plantations of Stratford Hall, Shirley, and Berkeley.
Visit Presidents of the Past: Tour the boyhood homes, birthplaces, and final resting places of several U.S. presidents. George Washington grew up on Ferry Farm on the Northern Neck, home to the George Washington Birthplace National Monument, and Thomas Jefferson spent some of his boyhood years at Tuckahoe Plantation in Richmond. William Henry Harrison was born at Berkeley Plantation, and James Madison, James Monroe, and John Tyler are buried in Hollywood Cemetery.
Explore the Virginia Wine Trail: With more than 160 wineries throughout the state, Virginia is on the oenophile radar and is considered a top wine region for travelers. The Heart of Virginia Wine Trail is a group of four Virginia Wineries located near Richmond, including Cooper Vineyards, Grayhaven Winery, James River Cellars Winery, and Lake Anna Winery.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $58.00 & up : 3.5-star hotels in Richmond Hotwire
- Holiday Inn Koger Conference Center in May: $120 & Up Expedia
- Look no Further! Richmond 5 Nts + Air as Low as $461 Travelocity
- $10.95 & up : Full Size rentals in Richmond Hotwire
- Look no Further! Richmond Hotels Fr $95+/Nt — $95 Travelocity