- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
Richmond has two Amtrak stations: Main Street Station downtown and Staples Mill, about 10 mi to the west. Only the trains on the Northeast corridor stop at Main Street; more routes are offered from Staples Mill. Amtrak trains operate between Washington's Union Station, Alexandria, Fredericksburg, Richmond, and a number of commuter stops several times daily. A one-way ticket costs $22 between Fredericksburg and Washington and $30 between Washington and Richmond. Amtrak service between New York City and Newport News or Florida passes through Richmond daily. The Virginia Rail Express, which uses the same tracks and station as Amtrak, provides workday commuter service between Fredericksburg and Washington's Union Station, with additional stops near hotels in Crystal City, L'Enfant Plaza, and elsewhere. A round-trip ticket from Washington's Union Station to Fredericksburg costs $20.60. There's no mass transit to the Northern Neck, but you can take the train to Fredericksburg and rent a car.
Virginia Rail Express. 703/684-1001 or 800/743-3873. www.vre.org.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $58.00 & up : 3.5-star hotels in Richmond Hotwire
- Holiday Inn Koger Conference Center in May: $120 & Up Expedia
- Look no Further! Richmond 5 Nts + Air as Low as $461 Travelocity
- $10.95 & up : Full Size rentals in Richmond Hotwire
- Look no Further! Richmond Hotels Fr $95+/Nt — $95 Travelocity