All visitor centers along North Cascades Highway are accessible by wheelchair. Accessible hikes include Sterling Munro, Skagit River Loop, and Rock Shelter, three short trails into lowland old-growth forest, all at mile 120 along Route 20 near Newhalem; and the Happy Creek Forest Trail at mile 134.
Admission Fees and Permits
A Northwest Forest Pass, required for use of various park and forest facilities and trails, is $5 per vehicle for one calendar day or $30 for one year. A free wilderness permit is required for all overnight stays in the backcountry; these are available in person only. Dock permits for boat-in campgrounds are also $5 per day. Passes and permits are sold at visitor centers and ranger stations around the park area.
The park never closes, but access is limited by snow in winter. Route 20 (North Cascades Highway), the major access to the park, is partially closed from mid-November to mid-April.
There are no ATMs in the park. Marblemount, Winthrop, and Chelan have banks with 24-hour ATMs.
Cell-phone reception in the park is not reliable. Public telephones are found at the North Cascades Visitor Center and Skagit Information Center in Newhalem; and at the Golden West Visitor Center and North Cascades Stehekin Lodge in Stehekin.
Dial 911 for all emergencies.
Park Contact Information
North Cascades National Park (810 Rte. 20, Sedro-Woolley, WA, 98284. 360/856-5700 or 360/854-7200. www.nps.gov/noca.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $174 & up -- SF: 4-Star Hotel near Union Square, 45% Off Expedia
- $186 & up -- 5-Star Seattle Hotel, Save 50% Expedia
- $169-$189 -- Downtown Seattle Hotel incl. Memorial Day — $169-$189 Renaissance Seattle Hotel
- $140 & up -- Seattle 4-Star Downtown Hotel, Save 50% — $140 Sheraton Seattle Hotel
- $175 & up -- Downtown Seattle 4-Star Hotel, 40% Off — $175 The Westin Seattle